Well, good news first. Ben is enjoying his not-so-new class now. His former girlfriend (from Pre-K) is in his class and that helped with his comfort level. But Ben's love is fickle. This week he's in love with the girl who sits diagonally across from him. I met her (Miss P) today and she's beautiful and very nice. I also met Ben's new friend-who's-a-boy (J).
I went to have lunch with Ben at school today. The cafeteria food is still awful. I took a protein bar to eat. Ben's lunchtime is 10:40-11:10 - who can eat THAT early? And, he was eating fried popcorn shrimp, mac n cheese, a fruit cup with sour cream (WTH???) on it, and an ice cream. He must have a cast iron stomach. yuck.
We are still having kindy adjustment (okay, I am guessing they're adjustment) issues at home. Ben is highly impulsive and it's compromising the safety of him, our dog and me. I just deleted the whole story about Ben trying to carve a whole watermelon with a carving knife (you can see where this one's headed). I also won't go into the incessant pestering of my little sweet 7 pound dog. Ben actually had the nerve to get upset the other day after Bogie nipped him on the upper lip. I was not my most sympathetic.
Most often are the times I say "no" to Ben.
No, Ben, you may not have more snacks.
No, Ben, you may not leave the house without me.
No, Ben, you may not throw frisbees inside.
No, Ben, you may not eat a grape popsicle on the new furniture.
It's all a challenge to Ben. I can almost hear him say "yeah? just watch me". Thank God that he's not being defiant at school. His teachers describe him as happy and energetic.
We are looking into the next level of help. We have been referred to a clinical psychologist who specializes in child and family issues and is also an IA Mom.
I keep praying for patience. I think I hear God snickering behind her hand. I wonder if I might have been a challenge in a previous life.

No comments:
Post a Comment