Thursday, January 14, 2010

Home Three Years

Well today is our three year anniversary home with Ben. We landed at Hartsfield Airport around 4:30 in the afternoon on January 14, 2007. It was a Sunday. It took us about three hours to get through customs and immigration once we landed. It was completely absurd. We had to wait (along with about a dozen other newly formed families) in the same line as all the adult immigrants. Hmmmm...I doubt my 13 month old son is on a watch list anywhere. I mean, come on, he doesn't talk, he poops in his pants and he has no teeth. Doubtful he's smuggling anything other than organic matter in his diaper.

We live on the other side of Atlanta from the airport. Ben was almost asleep as we finally got to our car in the park and ride lot. Just as we were getting into my car a plane took off and went directly over us. So much for a peaceful moment. Then, Ben would not, absolutely would not, get in the car seat. He was losing it. Kurt and I were so tired from being awake for 24 hours straight that we gave in. Kurt sat in the back seat with Ben on his lap and the seat belt over both of them. I drove home. I remember thinking to myself that I had never been that tired and driving at the same time.

It was a long first night. There have been many long nights since. I would not trade one of them.

5 comments:

Our Adventures As A Family of 4.... said...

Aw, nice story. Do you have any about your trip and meeting Ben for the first time?

Happy Anniversary today. Hope you all had a nice day. :-)

Molly

Ann S. said...

Molly, I could certainly retell my adoption story. It will be a multi-part blog :)

lynn said...

Happy Anniversary to all of you, Ann.
Thanks for sharing that first day home..and the laughs about your wait in the customs line.
Lynn

Jacqui said...

Do we get then and now pics? I think Sonia was the same way when she came home. No car seat for her. No way.

Casa Bicicleta said...

Hey, I thought I commented here, but maybe I haven't. Love the story. Can you believe it's been three years?
hugs to your little cutie patootie,
Leigh