Wow. I cannot believe that it's really been one year exactly since my last post. But, on the timeline of stuff happening, not much has really changed for us. That's depressing.
Ben did well in 2nd grade and is now in his second week of 3rd grade. However, after meeting twice with the 2nd grade teachers and the Guidance Counselor last year, it was determined that Ben tests "at grade level" and there's "no need" for an IEP. Stupid me, I bought it. I thought that was a good thing. Now I think I was wrong.
3rd grade Curriculum Night was last night - where parents sit in kid-sized chairs for 90 minutes and listen to the teachers scare the crap out of you over the expectations they have for your child. I came home with a bad headache and a worse heartache. We no longer have the CRCT test here in GA. This year we have an "End of Grade" test which is not a standardized - fill in the bubble with a #2 pencil - test. It's a "free response, critical thinking" test with lots of writing - including an essay. You remember an essay from high school, right? Five paragraphs - opening, three reasons and closing. Yeah - this is what Ben has to be able to do well to get out of 3rd grade. WHAT????
He will also be required to write out explanations of his reasoning in Math, Science and Social Studies questions. Do you hear me banging my head against the wall? My first question to myself was "can I opt out of Ben taking this test?". He has dyslexia/dysgraphia - writing is an arduous task for him. He can verbally express himself and his memory is excellent. But putting it down on paper takes forever and he gets really anxious about it (even on ADHD med).
So, last night I emailed the Curriculum Specialist at the school (on my friend's advice) and requested the "Other Health Impairment" form for Ben's ped to complete. This form will require that accommodations be put into place for him. Of course, I am spending time today trying to figure out what to even ask for as accommodations. One will be that he can type his writing homework rather than trying to write paragraphs longhand after his ADHD meds have worn off. Parenthetically, I have considered an afternoon booster but it can screw up sleep patterns so the answer to that is a huge NO for us.
Today, I am emailing Ben's ELA teacher and the Guidance Counselor at Ben's school. Just because he made A's and B's last year does not mean that he does not need assistance. I have to remember that.
The adoption. Well we are still waiting. In fact, today I overnight our I-800 Extension application to the USCIS office. Our approval expires next week and we had to update our homestudy so we could reapply. We changed our application to read "one child or two in a bio-sibling group". We'll see. My typically optimistic husband is very pessimistic about this adoption happening. We are giving it 12 months and then calling it quits if it hasn't happened. This is Kurt's decision based on his age and I have to respect that. Hard to believe that it's been two and a half years of working on this already.
Gotta go read about accommodations now :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Oh Ann, my heart breaks for you. On both counts. I'm not going to lie to you, third grade is tough. But the good news (if you can call it that) is that when he doesn't do well this year on the tests and they are forced to give him accommodations for next year, it's still early in his academic life. Changes made based on this year's results, put in place for next year, can still make all the difference to his future outcome. The other good news is that he is smart. Smart kids usually figure out "workarounds" and usually come out on top anyway, regardless of whether the school helps or not. Hold on to your hat, this year might be bumpy but it will for sure be helpful in planning out his future, no matter how the year goes.
As for the adoption, it's hard to believe it's been two years already. I have no sufficient words for the heartache you must be feeling. Know that I am sending you love and support.
Is this nonsense about third graders writing essays because of Common Core? My older one is starting 3rd grade next week and you just scared the you know what out of me. I hope that you find the right combo of help that your son needs and what the school can or is willing to provide.
And so know how hard the waiting game is for an international adoption to move forward. I know this is hard on some days but keep believing that it will happen. All that red tape will be behind you one day and your child(ren) will be home with you :)
Post a Comment