Thursday, June 27, 2013

What's up?

I know.  It's been three months since I last posted.  It's been a busy time for us.  Update..

1.  Ben's psych eval diagnosed with him slight to moderate cases of dyslexia and ADHD.  The emotional struggle with the dyslexia in the classroom and stress exacerbates the ADHD.  This is also why we don't see the ADHD so much at home.  The classroom environment is very difficult for Ben - too much stuff, too many kids, noises, distractions, etc.  Thankfully, K, Ben's tutor is certified in the Orton-Gillingham (OG) reading system that is designed to teach dyslexic children how to read.  So our game plan is to meet with the school and get some accommodations to try and assist him with reading skills and the ADHD. 

2.  We are going to try ADHD meds with Ben to see if it helps his ability to focus.  We are not excited about this but feel that it's unfair of us to make him try to overcome the dyslexia issues without some internal ability to find "a calm and focused state".

3. Trying to get the meds is a butt pain.  We had two trips to the cardiologist to make sure Ben did not have a heart issue.  Then our insurance denied covering the med our ped wanted us to try.  Now we have to try two other (read cheaper) meds and see what those side effects are before we can request the "medical necessity" of the desired prescription.   Banging my head over this.  My child is not a lab rat and I am mortified that he has to be treated like one in order for an insurance company to save a few bucks. 

4.  We left the day after school ended (in May) and went to Disney for a week.  It was a blast.  But then, hanging with my boys doing fun stuff is always a blast.  Last year I wrote about the underwear deficiencies I noticed on female tourists.  This year I must comment about the men's fashions.  My hubby and child wore sport shirts and sport shorts and sneakers every day.  Solid colors.  Ben's were neon bright so we could not lose track of him ever.  Not expensive outfits but great for the weather and our activities.  Other men just made me cringe - and I am not a fashionista at all.  A plaid shirt with (different pattern) plaid pants is just ocular-ly offensive.  A ratty tank top and really excessive body hair is never a pretty combination.  One gentleman thought his horizontal striped top was so great that he matched it with the same striped shorts.  He was probably late 30's, early 40's and he looked like he was wearing a Carter's onesie.  

5.  We cancelled our trip to New York and Connecticut.  I am bummed but I know that it was the right decision.  Too much going on and I did not want to be experimenting with medications while out of state.

6.  My Mom's birthday is coming up.  It's a big one (with a 0 at the end).  So I am working on her party.  Trying to get catering squared away (because we are a "food and drink" kind of family).  We can sit in plastic chairs, eating on recyclable plates with plastic forks, but the food better be amazing and there better be wine.  I take after my Mom.

7.  We were fingerprinted right after we returned from Disney for our USCIS approval for country B.  I really, really, really wanted to have our dossier in queue by June but, wow, that did not happen.  Last weekend we received a letter from USCIS and they needed revisions to our homestudy.  crapitall.  So, wonderful social worker made the changes, wonderful agency reviewed it and approved it and I fedex'd it out yesterday.  Really really ready to get this thing done. 

8.  Hmmm...what else?  Oh, Mom sold her house at the lake and is now purchasing a house near us.  She's been renting a house nearby but really needed more space and wanted a basement.  New house is four minutes away and lovely.  Yay Mom! 

9.  MIL has offered to take us on a cruise next year.  Wonderful and incredibly generous offer from her.  Kurt and I feel really bad that we can't just say "YES".  But we should be getting a referral in about 12 months.  Hard to make concrete plans, ya know?  Luckily, we have until April of next year to cancel.  I am hoping that we'll have a better idea of what's up with country B by then.

10.  Oh, and we tried Melatonin with Ben several nights.  Nuthin.  He went to sleep fast but still woke up several times a night.  Is there something we're not doing right?  He was taking 1 mg. 

11.  And yes, Ben's transition to summer has been as painful as usual.  Mr. Bossy Pants will be captain of the college debate team at the rate he's going. 

3 comments:

Casa Bicicleta said...

So glad to have a thorough up date. I've been wondering what was going on with your guys.

So sorry about the insurance stuff. Don't get me started, I could tell you stories....

Did I tell you we are going back to Disney? In November just like last time. Loved the description about the men's outfits. *giggle*

Good luck with the meds. Keep us posted.

Ann S. said...

When in November? Kurt has a conference to attend in Orlando in November and I am trying to wrangle a "take your wife and kid" invite.

Diva Maman said...

Okay...first...NOT ENOUGH Melatonin. Do 2 mg - missy is on that and she is 46 lbs.

Second....does the Melatonin you're using include B6? It MUST.

Third. )(*^(*^&%(*&^ insurance companies.

Fourth...I'm with the Empress on the fashion.

Fifth. We MUST get together.