Monday, October 10, 2011

Opinions

I doubt that anyone who reads my blog finds it surprising to know that I am very opinionated. In fact, as I have advanced through my adult years, I have embraced and rejoiced in my inner-opinionatedness. As a child/teenager, I felt like my opinions were solely shaped by others - I was told what to believe, how to feel, what to think. This was probably not a literal force-feed, but more of a perception of how I learned and processed information in school, church and family.

So, now well into my middle years (yep, that was a birthday gong you heard last week), I know that I have opinions and that I don't have them just to be controversial or belligerent or difficult. I really believe what I am saying. But, I also know that those who ask my opinion probably don't really want to hear mine.

I wish I was a little more sensitive to the toes I step on. I am afraid I might be channeling the worst traits of both grandmothers - the inability to keep my mouth shut and know when NOT to say something.

I offer this post as a sort of pre-holiday encouragement to myself. I am about to find myself knee-deep in family, which typically means I have to work extra hard to keep my best side showing. I can do it, I can do it, I can do it.

Oh, Ben is still rocking Kindy. Another two-week report came home and he aced it - all Satisfactory marks. So proud of him.

Yes, L, I will post a picture. But now it's about time to get a trim and color again. You may have to wait a week.

5 comments:

LucisMomma said...

Bless your heart! It's been longer than I thought since I visited your blog. ('m also just my thoughts, exactly--you left a nice comment there today, thanks!)

We see a lot of the melt down with new things. We homeschool, so that cuts down a lot of the changes, school-wise. We see (or rather, I see, since DH seems to be blind and deaf to it all) meltdowns with sunday school stuff--on Sunday night, we have a class for the kids, too, and every single time on the way home she is a basket case. Sigh. If she didn't LOVE the class I'd just keep her home.

Can't wait to see the hair do!

Casa Bicicleta said...

I am stunned. YOU are opinionated? Really? *coughs delicately* Well, I'll be. tee hee

I want to see the hair cut.

I want to see the hair cut.

I want to see the hair cut.

Casa Bicicleta said...

By the way, I have the same problem with family. I got the opinions. They don't want to hear them. I am gearing up for the holidays and trying like hell to get myself ready to Just. Shut. Up.

Lots of luck with that.

And ps. I want to see the haircut.

Casa Bicicleta said...

Where's the picture of your haircut?

Our Adventures As A Family of 4.... said...

I'm so glad to hear Ben is doing well. Looks like the change of teacher was key.

Well, you know I am always seeming to step on people's toes. Sometimes I have no clue what I have 'done' but someone got offended by what I said. Yet......with most of my IRL friends they have no problem telling me what they think I should do but I am not allowed to voice my opinion. So, I try hard to have relationships with my friends and it just doesn't always work.

As far as my family is concerned I used to the 'baby' of my first cousins and thought not to have an opinion or one that anyone listened to. Then my brother died this past summer and I took care of almost all of his arrangements, and my mother has had declining health and I have had to take care of her. But I still am opinionated and I don't hold back sometimes and that does not make it easy dealing with my family at times.

Hang in there, and yes, you can do it, you can do it! :-)

Molly

PS, I have not been visiting blogs or really updating my own lately. Need to be better about reading and posting.